Friday, January 20, 2012

Back to the Drawing Board

Building a TARDIS is not something you just jump into without a plan. So, the first thing I did was research. My greatest help came from an online community of like minded Whovians over at tardisbuilders.com. I collected all the photo reference and real dimensions I could in order to produce the blueprints you see here. This is not to say that I didn't vary a bit from the plans during the project, but this was my dominant guide.

In order to fit the beast in my living room and encase the sliding bookshelf system, my box is about 85-90% of the size of the actual TV prop. The 80's prop was about the size of mine, just over 8 feet tall. Matt Smith explores the universe in a stylish 10 foot tall model these days.

Luckily this size worked out well for using stock lumber without having to rip it down to size. Additionally, I avoided using a table saw (which I don't own and am a little leery of) for the whole project except for a couple of pieces I had sized at the hardware store prior to bringing them home.

Next post I'll show you the first piece I assembled.

No comments:

Post a Comment